If you have an interest in beauty products and skin care products, selling Younique might sound like a pretty good gig. It is designed for stay-at-home moms and others that are looking to earn an income with a flexible schedule and maybe not as a full-time job.
Younique is a multi-level marketing (MLM) program, meaning that they sell beauty products through a direct selling model. Many people seem to have interest in this type of system, since it allows flexibility and the potential to earning an income from your own business.
I am going to take a look at the Younique MLM Program to help you decide if this is a venture where you have potential to earn some additional income. I will start with some background information on the company.
Who And What is Younique
Younique is a direct sales beauty company with more than 1 million Younique Presenters in 13 International markets.
It was started in 2012 by Derek Maxfield and his sister, Melanie Huscroft with the goal of providing Presenters with personal growth through building a small business.
Younique is headquartered in Utah, and has around 200 employees. Their focus is on products for women, like skin care or cosmetics. Their annual revenue is around 400 million, all accomplished through a MLM program, or a direct selling approach.
They are looking for stay-at-home moms who want to share their passion for makeup and cosmetics with others by joining their team of recruits.
It is considered similar to programs like Avon or Mary Kay, only with a focus of almost exclusively sold through the use of social media with Younique Virtual Parties.
The Younique MLM Program
Younique MLM Program is designed like other MLM programs, where your focus will be to sell Younique products as a Presenter and at the same time recruit others to become Presenters as well.
You will mainly be selling on social media, like FaceBook or Pinterest through your own e-commerce store and website that will be provided for you.
You could use FaceBook to create a group or event and invite others to join. When you invite friends, they can shop at their leisure, and you will receive a commission based on a percentage of your sales.
You will be required to sell at least $125 in 3 consecutive each to be able to stay active with Younique and earn a commission.
From the chart below, you will see what sales are required from each of the levels in order to stay active and the number of recruits you will need to gain that status.
What Is The Cost To Join Younique MLM Program
You will be required to purchase a Younique Kit before you can begin with their MLM Program.
The kit costs $99 and has a retail value of $450. It will provide products from every category, along with makeup discounts.
When you pay your $99, you will also have available to you business building tools, your own website set up with an e-commerce store and instant access to the Younique Virtual Party System.
There is Youniversity Training Academy available, where weeks 1 and 2 you will have weekly training courses that will guide you through what to do first, offer valuable marketing tips and give you critical business insights.
Can You Make Money With The Younique MLM Program
Like most MLM programs, you are required to make an initial investment in the program, usually of products, and in order to be eligible to receive a commission, you will either need to make qualifying sales quotas or purchase more of the product yourself.
According to Wikipedia, over 99% of distributors in MLM programs either make a very insignificant income or no income with MLM programs.
Having said that, below is the compensation program that Younique’s MLM Program provides. You will make money off of your sales, starting at the 20% level, and as your sales increase and the number of recruits increase, your commission percentage can increase as well.
Younique does not provide an Income Disclosure Statement to provide any evidence of what their Presenters are earning, but since they are a private company, it isn’t required by law to provide.
Do The Younique Products Offer Value
In order for you to be successful, it is important that the products you are selling are quality products, worth the price and that you are working with a reputable company. If that isn’t the case, your reputation can suffer, and your earning potential can be greatly affected.
The reviews are not always good with Younique. They have been accredited with the Better Business Bureau since 2014 and have a A+ rating, but there has been some complaints.
Over the last 3 years, there has been 48 complaints with the Better Business Bureau, with the majority of complaints about products, service or return policy. Below is a copy of their return policy, with from some of the complaints, they don’t always follow this.
Many of Younique’s products are not much different from what is available in your local drug store, and are priced a bit higher.
Younique products are not exclusive to what you are offering either. If you do a search on Amazon, you will see that their entire product line is available to purchase directly from them.
Pros Of Younique MLM Program
- Personal Free Website – When you sign up you will have a free website that is set up with e-commerce to sell products directly and you can start immediately.
- Quick Payment – Younique uses PayQuicker for your payroll platform. Within 3 hours after making a sale on your personal website, earnings will be deposited in your own PayQuicker account.
- Training Program – You will have access to Youniversity Training Academy that will offer you weekly training courses to help guide you forward.
- Available Worldwide – Wherever you are located, you will be able to access this program.
- Virtual Parties – You won’t have to drive somewhere, set up for a party and than pack back up. This will save you time and money by not having to travel.
Cons Of Younique MLM Program
- Keep Buying Products To Keep Status – If you don’t have the required amount of sales in a given quarter, you will be required to purchase the product yourself to remain active in the program.
- High Pressure – Not only will you have target sales amounts to achieve, you will also have targets for recruiting others to the program.
- Not Exclusive Program – Products are available from Amazon.
- Complaints – There are complaints on the product, delivery on the product and return policy.
- No Discounts – Many companies like this one, offer a discount on personal product purchases, like Forever Living. There are no discounts with Younique.
- Training Recruits – It isn’t as simple as just signing someone new up. When you sponsor a recruit, you will be responsible to help them get started, taking time away from you promoting yourself.
My Final Thoughts
MLM programs can be a stressful environment, since not only do you have to focus on selling the product, you need to focus on recruiting others to the program. If you spend too much time focused on recruits, your sales won’t get the attention that they need.
The Younique MLM program is no different from other MLM programs. They are hard to make money with.
Starting your own business that provides you a flexible schedule doesn’t have to be as stressful as joining a MLM program. You can start your own business, promoting anything that you want. Check out my recommendation on how you can make money online from blogging.
If you have any questions or comments, please leave them below and I will get back with you. You can follow momsmakingmoneyathome.com on Pinterest, FaceBook or Linkedin for all the latest updates.
Some of the links within this post are affiliate links of which I might receive a small compensation from sales of certain items.