When I was in my early 20s, I would have thought that being an Independent Retailer selling clothing an absolute dream job. I loved clothes, and I loved to be fashionable.
Becoming a LuLaRoe Consultant allows you to purchase clothing at wholesale prices and sell it for retail prices. You are being an entrepreneur, own your own business and working to make your dream come true.
This article will discuss how to become a LuLaRoe Consultant, what your start-up costs will be, and if you can make money selling LulaRoe products. At the end, it will give my recommendation of joining LuLaRoe.
LuLaRoe Background Information
In 2012, DeAnne Stidham started the company LuLaRoe and launched it in 2013 as a MLM company or multi-level marketing business. It offers mainly women’s clothing, but does have some offerings in men’s and kids clothing as well.
Their main products are leggings or stretchy pants that come with great designs and are very popular. None of their products are available for purchase on their website, you can only purchase them through an Independent Fashion Retailer.
All of their products are sold through fashion consultants mainly through social media and home parties.
How To Become A LuLaRoe Consultant
It is easy to become a LuLaRoe Independent Fashion Retailer. LuLaRoe states that you only need 3 things to join.
- A dream to be your own boss
- An interest in fashion
- A sponsor ID or sponsor link
A sponsor is an active Independent Fashion Retailer within LuLaRoe that will guide you, inspire you and train you. No worries if you don’t know one, you can click on a link on their website and they will assign one to you.
You can then get started by choosing your inventory from a collection of dresses, skirts, leggings, tops and more. You can also refresh your inventory with new styles when they are launched. You can not choose the pattern, only the product and style.
Next, you will start selling through BLESS – LuLaRoe’s point of sale system, in person Pop-Up Boutiques, through FaceBook Live or on your own Online Boutique.
You will need to purchase your initial inventory. The cost of your initial inventory is based on the styles you select and quantities, but pricing starts around $2500. From most things that I have read, this can easily go all the way up to $20,000 of inventory.
What LuLaRoe Provides You
With the investment that you will be making with LuLaRoe, there are a few things that are provided. You will get to purchase your inventory at wholesale prices, get a 5% discount on eligible orders and free ground shipping on all orders.
- Education Resources – Focused resources developed to get you started and help you grow.
- Business Support – Sales tax management, systems support, and customer service.
- LuLaRoe Trainings – You will have access to exclusive training.
- Point Of Sale – Sell inventory and run your business on BLESS Online POS System.
- Card Reader – Process payments and make sales in-person and online.
- Marketing Resources – Marketing materials to help promote your business.
- Leadership And T.E.A.M. Support – Trainings created to help you grow your business.
- LuLaRoe Events – Super fun events.
- Sales Incentives – Programs designed to help you reach your goals.
- Reports And Analytics – Insight into your business activities
Why You Shouldn’t Join LuLaRue
I am sorry, I know if you are a woman and you enjoy fashion, this could sound really exciting to join. You will have access to all their latest fashion releases, you are purchasing clothing at a discount, and you can earn money by doing all of this. It is just the opposite though.
Let me list out the 10 reasons why you shouldn’t become a LuLaRue Consultant.
- The start-up costs are ridiculous. They say you can join for around $2500, many have stated you will be investing way more than that. According to Wikipedia, it is more likely that you will need to purchase between $4925 and $9000 worth of inventory and it recommended that you actually carry $20,000 worth of inventory.
- In 2017, there was a class-action lawsuit against LuLaRoe stating that they are actually a pyramid scheme.
- Several times the Better Business Bureau has given this company a rating F and most recently, in June 2019 their rating a D+ with the Better Business Bureau.
- Finding an Income Disclosure Statement is impossible. The most recent one I could find was from 2016. At that time, over 72% of Independent Fashion Retailers were ineligible for any bonus payments.
- According to Business Insider, many representatives complained of being forced into debt, by having to purchase more inventory.
- You will be required to get others to join LuLaRoe, friends, family, acquaintances, etc.
- No where on their website do they state any information about LuLaRoe compensation plan. I have been told it is an unilevel pay plan, which means you will earn from your sales, and a smaller percentage from the sales of your recruits. I believe that LuLaRoe should make this information available before sign up, but they do not.
- Complaints about the quality of the product has been increasing.
- They no longer will buy back unsold inventory at 100% of cost.
- There have been lawsuits out of California from consultants stating they were forced into serious debt.
Sell Clothing Online With A Website
If you have a love for clothing and you want to earn some money from selling it, don’t join a company like LuLaRoe where you will have to purchase thousands of dollars worth of inventory that you may not even be able to sell. Most people that join a MLM company don’t even earn a minimum wage or even over $1000 per year.
You can start your own website and have the ability to sell clothing from thousands of different companies, and you will never have to purchase any inventory.
You can learn how writing a blog for money works to help you earn income as a marketing affiliate. Being a marketing affiliate will allow you to join as many affiliate programs as you like, and it will cost you nothing to join.
When starting anything new, it is best to get some training to help you get started the right way, but I am not suggesting that you spend a bunch of money on this either. I have been there, I didn’t want to spend money to be able to make money.
If you are truly interested in learning on how to become a marketing affiliate, I recommend you check out the training I used a few years ago to learn how to develop a website and learned how to be successful as a marketing affiliate. You can join the program for free. Read my review of Wealthy Affiliate to see if this is a program that could help you become successful starting your own business.
There are many stay at home moms wanting to learn how to make money online, but joining a company like LuLaRoe is not the way to go. The investment is way too high, the risk of being stuck with unsold inventory, the lawsuits for it being a pyramid scheme and the requirement for having others join are all reasons I wouldn’t recommend joining LuLaRoe.
You should now understand how to become a LuLaRoe consultant, but I hope this isn’t the path that your decide to choose. I fear that you will have spent lots of money to get started and won’t have the ability to sell all of the inventory that you have purchased.
Good luck with whichever choice you make.
If you have any questions or comments, please leave them below and I will get back with you. You can follow momsmakingmoneyathome.com on Pinterest, Linkedin, Twitter and FaceBook for all the latest updates.